Saturday, January 10, 2009

The One and Only: Caprice by Augusta Jones

Hold your breath but I've found my dress!!! &%&#&!!!

Yes, It's true, it happened. I found it. I fell in love. I bought it. And all when I least expected it! Time of revelation: Mid-day. Location of revelation: Jeannette's Bridal Boutique. Ally's heart rate after revelation? 155 beats but now slowed to a flutter of general excitement.


And what is this dress you might ask? Well her name is Caprice: designed by Augusta Jones, made in ivory Thai silk, fitted, asymmetrically bodiced, princess silhouetted, and a touch of whimsy with beautiful flowers peeking through the skirt folds.

The dress combines all of the elements I'd found in other dresses, each a strand of my personality. In "Minu" and "Nuccia" by Atelier Aimee, I found the beauty of fabric flowers and textured fabric and historical romance. In Melissa Sweet's "Felice," I found the sweetness of a dress and how rustic can be elegant. In Anne Barge's "Pansy," I found the grace of the ball gown, the layers of folds, its feminine silhouette.

But in Caprice, I've found everything: romance, beauty, grace, authentic, vintage, whimsy. Above all whimsy.

They say you know when you put on a dress that it's the one for you, without anyone saying so: and it's all totally true. When I tried on Caprice today I saw my whole wedding day panning out before me: the aisle, the love of my life, my flowers, the twang of our fiddlers, Oatlands, Virginia, Shenandoah. I stopped. I knew. This is the dress I want to be married in.

It was a long journey--three months of trying on gowns from one end of the fashion spectrum to another. I began wanting to be a super fashion icon, finding myself in the throes of designers who were chic and modern, but really not me. Then I found myself returning to traditional lines and looks but finding this too boring, too predictable. And then, somehow, once I found myself through all the advice and voices and opinions, I heard myself and knew it had to be "Caprice."

The pictures here do the gown no justice at all, but I've posted them here--front and back views--to only whet the appetite, as the dress in real life, and on me, is a whole different surprise!

4 comments:

Somer said...

love it!

Ally Armistead said...

Thanks, lady! I really hope it's as pretty in 6 months when the order comes in! : )

Drew Watts said...

Pretty bride! Hope all your dreams come true! Big day of my cousin was also a lovely evening with dear ones. One of the alluring wedding venues NYC was hired for the celebration. Cake cutting was on staircase and white red theme done looked simply amazing. Came to know about colorful flowers from decorations done here.

Spam Patrol said...

A business has posted a spam comment to this blog post. The link in the comment goes to a website that submits over 100 comments per day to blogspot sites with a link to their site as an opportunity to make their site look more popular to search engines like google. If you read the comment and look at the link they inserted, you will notice it is not helpful to your readers and it doesn't even make sense to be linked other than for their own business needs. If you would like to mark it as spam to prevent them from using you, follow the instructions here: https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/187141?hl=en