After serious consideration (and I mean serious, because Caroline's cakes are absolutely wonderful) we have selected the Light Lemon Butter for the wedding: four moist layers of buttermilk cake filled with a light creamy lemon filling and frosted with lemon meringue buttercream. Absolutely to die for.
Our thinking was this:
- Chocolate allergy among our guests
- The possibility of an Indian summer October 3rd, with weather reaching 75 degrees (chocolate and carrot cake would just be too much for warmer weather)
- Among the remaining non-chocolate cake, the lemon butter was by far the most zingy, fun, and tasty.
A few other details:
- We're going with buttercream frosting, which means we can either go with white or ivory, but not color--as colored frosting looks terrible in buttercream, and we don't want to go with the formal stiffness of fondant.
- We're going with three-tiers--the perfect size to feed 70.
- We're going with round tiers. Square is just too sharp.
- Caroline makes her own sugar flowers, which are simply AMAZING.
- She also makes her own fondant ribbons, should we choose to wind them around the bottom of each tier. As for designs, we are still searching for that perfect "one."
- Textured beading, scrolling, or floral design etched into the frosting.
- Colored fondant ribbon around the base of each tier. Green?
- Little sugar flowers spread out across the tiers.