Today, Chris, mom, and I went to Joan's shop and business, Savoir Fare Ltd., located in the heart of Round Hill, Virginia--only 20 minutes from Oatlands.
Welcomed by a warm room and a generous hostess, we had Joan's full attention, beginning with an appetizer course, then a soup course, a plated salad, and three entrees served family style.
We were immediately impressed with Joan's knowledge of Oatlands, her appreciation for all things Virginian and rustic, including fresh grown tomatoes, homemade salad dressings, and fresh whipped creams.
By the time we arrived at the pumpkin soup, complete with homemade cream and pumpkin seeds, Chris and I knew we had found our chef. Of course, saying how much she approved of our deep love of cornbread pretty much sealed the deal, too!
Among our favorites of the foods we sampled included
- Baked brie with brown sugar
- Homemade artichoke dip on bread
- Dilled shrimp tartlets
- Bacon wrapped scallops with hoisin sauce
- Fig-filled pastries
- Pumpkin soup with homemade cream and pumpkin seeds
- Salad greens with fresh red pear slices, walnuts, cranberries, and white vinaigrette
- Chicken Fricassee in a field mushroom sauce
- Beef Tenderloin in port sauce with a horseradish drizzle
- Salads would be served plated.
- Both entrees would be sliced and served family style (which we totally adore).
- The tenderloin would be served with red potatoes and herbs, carrots, and green beans.
- The chicken would be served with rice pilaf.
- All tables would feature a basket full of freshly baked rolls, cornbread, pumpkin bread, and zucchini bread.
- Joan's team will provide all soda, mixers, iced tea, water, coffee, and hot tea.
- We will provide all alcoholic beverages.
- We can select linens, chairs, flatware, glassware, and silverware from We Party.
- We can have Caroline Taylor, also located locally, bake our cake. (more on this later)
- Joan adored our favors idea: to send each guest home with a tart (pecan, pumpkin, apple).
- Appetizers would be served butler style on the terraced gardens and on the front porch of the mansion.
- Four bistro tables will be provided outdoors.
- We'll need one table for a bar outdoors.
- We're still torn between 5 foot tables and 6 foot tables. (more on that later)