Thursday, September 11, 2008

Venue Shopping: The Real Story

So, it occurred to me that my post from yesterday removed all of the blemishes, the difficulty, the tears, and the ridiculous behavior I demonstrated in my search for our wedding venue. This is false advertising, particularly for any other brides who may come across this page and think somehow that they are alone in their desperation to find the "perfect place"--wherever that is.

So, this is my briderly confession:

TRUTH: I am in love with my venue.

TRUTH
: I found it a month ago.

TRUTH
: I ignored my intuition in favor of listening to other's opinions.

TRUTH:
I zipped through the middle and all relevant parts of this great state, without shame and without much sleep in search of something even "better."

TRUTH:
I cried twice at work, fretting that the vision in my mind could never be met by an actual, concrete space in reality, and even entertained notions about hiring an architect, a landscape designer, and a road builder to bring these fanciful notions to life.

TRUTH:
I cried at the fact that I cried about this.

TRUTH:
I googled elopement packages in Las Vegas, Provence, Lake Como, and New Zealand.

TRUTH: I returned to my first love in venues, only to realize--after all of this said behavior above--that Oatlands was truly the one.

TRUTH:
I made doubly sure that Oatlands was the one by parking at the front gate and illegally crawling over the fence to have "one more look" after hours.

TRUTH:
I need to stay away from all things venue-related from this point forward.

TRUTH:
Vision and reality are two separate planets, and brides should stop trying to force two worlds to get along seamlessly, instead accepting the beauty of what's before us, working with slight setbacks, bringing our creativity to the fold. Perfection is the ultimate myth.

Alice's next adventure: Finding a wedding officiant. Alice is hoping this doesn't involve more highway trips. She's carsick.

No comments: